Investigating Safety Managment Systems (ISMS)
Duration: 4.5 days
Tuition: $2,750.00 USD
The Investigation in Safety Management Systems (ISMS) course is a follow-on course to the Safety Management Systems Complete (SMS-C) course. It provides Safety Officers and managers with knowledge and training in the process of investigating minor accidents and incidents in an aviation organization. It supports the implementation of an SMS by providing the tools and techniques used to investigate incidents, minor accidents and hazards. There is also practical training in how to investigate an occurrence from initial notification through to writing an investigation report. The ISMS process is based on the ICAO Integrated Systematic Investigation Methodology (ISIM) model. The course will also discuss the Safety Officer’s responsibility for supporting an ICAO/NTSB aircraft accident investigation.
PLEASE NOTE: The ISMS course is neither a full course in major aircraft accident investigation nor a course in investigation management. For these two subjects, please refer to the Aircraft Accident Investigation (AAI) and Investigation Management (IM) courses in the SCSI catalog.
- This course is designed for Safety Officers of aviation organizations who have responsibility for reacting to incidents, accidents and conditions involving safety hazards in their organization. It is a key element of a comprehensive Safety
Management System. Organization managers will also find value through understanding how the investigation process will lead to the safety action required by their organization.
- This course is not intended for those who will participate in ICAO or NTSB formal aircraft accident investigations; these individuals should take the SCSI AAI Course.
- The ISMS course will provide Safety Officers with the skills and abilities to effectively investigate a significant safety occurrence in their organization. The course will show you how to prepare for an investigation, gather data, analyze
that data, and then make logical and sound findings. From the findings you will have identified safety deficiencies that can then be transformed into meaningful safety action in your organization. These results will provide your respective
management personnel with the information they need to take meaningful action to mitigate the risk. The Board of Certified Safety Professionals accepts this course for continuance of certification credit.
- SMS is one of the required courses for the Certificate in Safety Management Systems (Aviation) granted by SCSI.
- SCSI will award 3.6 CEUs to each participant who successfully completes this course.
- How an Investigation Supports SMS
- Reporting Systems
- Investigation Preparation
- The Investigation Process (ISIM)
- Occurrence Assessment
- Data Gathering
- Accident and Incident Diagrams
- Elementary Material Failure Analysis
- Sequence of Events
- Integrated Investigation Process
- Organizing the Information
- Analyzing the Information
- Developing Safety Action
- Findings and Recommendations
- Writing the Report
- Incident & Accident Investigation Exercises
The Investigation in Safety Management Systems (ISMS) course consists of 4.5 training days (36 hours of classroom instruction). Participants receive lecture outlines, additional reference material, and a Certificate of Completion. Classes begin daily at 0800 and end at noon on the last day.