Tuition- $2,500.00 USD
SCSI offers an entire Certificate (course series) in aviation Safety Management Systems (SMS) and has provided these courses all over the world (to include the Norwegian Armed Forces) since 2002. SCSI is a registered company with the International Business Aviation Council (IBAC) and certified via the International Standard for Business Aviation Operations (IS-BAO) for providing Safety Management System training. Although business aviation is not tailored to military aviation, a majority of the aspects are applied and it speaks to SCSI’s commitment to provide the highest quality and most current SMS information.
SCSI teaches based on the latest developments and guidelines published by ICAO and the various regulatory agencies. The course content is based on the latest ICAO Safety Management manual (Doc 9859 4th edition dated 2018) which supersedes the third edition published in 2013. It also supersedes the ICAO Accident Prevention Manual (Doc 9422), which is obsolete.
SCSI is also an accredited auditor for Aviation Safety Management Systems programs.
Who Should Attend
Personnel assigned to safety and safety-related positions in an airline, armed forces, on-demand charter, an aerodrome, executive support airlift, aviation maintenance organization, or a government regulatory body who may be new to safety or Safety Management Systems or those who would like a comprehensive review of SMS fundamentals in order to review, evaluate, build, or improve upon a safety management plan. Attendees will be provided the information, knowledge, checklists and tools required to build, implement and manage a program using the latest tools, techniques and processes.
How You will Benefit
• You will learn the practical application of safety management systems as applied to aviation operations.
• You will learn the regulatory and administrative requirements for a safety program under various federal and international guidelines.
• You will learn a data-driven approach to enhancing aviation safety -- how to collect and use data that will support a proactive approach to safety assurance.
• You will learn how to take account of human and organizational factors as you organize (or reorganize) for a safety management system.
• You will be introduced to the SMS Risk Control Process and the practice of hazard identification and risk management and how this process can increase the effectiveness of your accident prevention efforts.
• You will learn how to deal with personnel at all levels of your organization and how to "sell" a Safety Management System and subsequent safety programs to them using the basic concepts of strategic planning, budgeting and financial decision making.
• Upon completion of the course, you will have the essentials you need to develop a safety management system tailored to your organization. For those from organizations that already have safety programs, you will be able to critically review, compare and contrast, evaluate, and improve existing plans and programs from a safety management system perspective and make the required improvements.
• You will learn how to utilize Change Management and to communicate effectively with and involve all levels of your organization in safety by understanding the essential tools of project management and leading change.
• You will learn how to involve all staff in safety, develop a positive safety culture, maintain a commitment to safety, and assess progress.
• You will evaluate your current safety program and identify gaps or deficiencies compared to a fully functioning SMS
• SCSI will award 4.0 CEUs to each participant who successfully completes this course.
Basic Safety Concepts
• The concept of safety
• The evolution of safety thinking
• How Human Factors influences behavior
• Accident causation & the Reason Model
• The organizational accident
• Errors, violations, and Threat Error Management
• Safety Culture/Just Culture
An Introduction to Managing Safety
• The management dilemma
• Responsibilities and strategies for managing safety
• Policies and organization for safety
• The Risk Management Process
• Risk Assurance
• Aviation Risk Management Solutions (ARMS) ORM Methodology
Introducing Safety Management Systems
• The SMS framework
• Implementing your SMS
• Emergency Response Planning
• Safety Performance Assessment and measurement
• Continuous improvement and safety assurance
• Safety promotion, training, policy, assurance and communication
• Management of safety information
• Case studies, exercises
• Conducting a Gap Analysis
These SMS course topics form the basis for organizing this SMS course. For each organizational component in an SMS, instructors will define the component and then show how it applies to SMS with examples, illustrations, hands-on exercises, checklists, etc. The course focus is on the practical "how to do it" and what the content should look like when you are done.
Classroom participants receive lecture outlines, additional reference material, and a Certificate of Completion. PDF versions of all course material will be provided to participants in addition to the SMS Toolkit.
"Instructor credibility was well established which gave weight to what was taught and contributes to increased attention span on the part of the student."
"The program is well oriented covering all the aspects of SMS and its effective implementation."
"A very informative course and will have immense value in future SMS implementation."
"Amazing job! Content presented as best as possible there’s so much. Presented wonderfully. Sad to go."